Ana-log No. 6 (January, February and March)

 

                                                                Photo: @griefmother on Instagram

Hello again! I'm back and ready to keep you up to date with what has been happening in my life during the previous months. It is April of 2021 at the time that I'm typing this, so bear with me as it will take me a moment to remember everything that I intend to include in this update. Since I'm not a fan of stalling, let's get this show on the road!

Starting with January, the New Year took with it much of the 2020's excitement. I managed to keep my spirits up for the most part. I saw my friends, I had a cozy wintery quality time with my family, I was writing a bit, etc. But as soon as the middle of January hit, bitter melancholy crashed over my body like a wave, making me terribly mournful of 2020. I had suddenly become perfectly aware of the fact that it is gone for good and it will never, ever return. Luckily, the storm cleared up soon, though. I seemed to have created this excellent coping mechanism where existential longings don't affect me for too long. I feel what I need to feel without letting it consume me. Remembering all that is in my hands still, all that is yet to be and all that I am yet to see also helped. In knowing that, I continued to push through. I spun around the idea of being in love with a person I mentioned in one of my previous updates (I believe it was during the summer of 2019) as they became sort of relevant and present in my life again. I was wary of making the first move because, although we have pretty similar beliefs and ideologies, the plain truth is that we are very different people with different temperaments, backgrounds and even ages (they are my senior by a solid decade; this is of course not a deal breaker, but it is something to keep in mind). Also, I had a feeling I would become someone else for fear that who I am wouldn't be enough and I couldn't let them fall in love with a curated version of myself. It wouldn't be fair to either one of us. I continued being friendly and open with them, but ultimately decided to leave it up to faith. I knew that if something was meant to happen between us, one of us would feel the urge to reach out to the other in the most natural way possible. What else? I am just taking a peek into my kitty planner that has been my lifesaver (thank you big sis!) in trying to remember. Oh yes! I had my eyes checked and started wearing glasses. I can finally see! While I was there, I met my relatives from Podgorica again. I was so happy to see them, especially my cousin Relja, who I instantly bonded with over our shared love of the occult. Talking with him was so refreshing! In other news, my dad celebrated his 70th birthday. That was a big one!

After the year that was January ended, February jumped in its place. One constant during this time was the freezing cold that simply would not end. This had to have been one of the coldest winters we've had in years. It even snowed! Could you believe that?! The temperature hardly ever goes bellow zero here. That should put it in perspective for you. Apart from the extreme cold, this period was also one of the busiest for me because I had tons of offers on my new Fiverr account. It had challenged me quite a bit and made me want to give up on multiple occasions, but I prevailed. My customers were satisfied and gave me positive reviews and even tips! The success was short lived, though. My account got deactivated about two weeks after, which was slightly disappointing. I very well deserved it because I didn't follow the rules (I won't go into the specifics right now), but it still frustrated me because it was one of the first ventures that simultaneously provided a steady income and was creatively fulfilling. I'll have better luck next time around, I guess. This is how we all learn. The most annoying part was waiting for three months for the account to be reopened (hopefully), which still hasn't happened. Whilst I waited, I continued writing. I finished a few articles that I previously set aside. I got into re-watching "The Hills" again. It brought so many memories of the early 2000s! That was such an interesting time. I was so young when the show first premiered on MTV, so I couldn't relate to it as well as I can now, but I do remember seeing a couple of episodes and loving Audrina and Whitney a lot! I appreciated Audrina's edginess and Whitney's mellowness. Lauren was among the favorites too. I just remember thinking all of them were so sweet and beautiful. They were like real-life Bratz dolls! Now, I realize it is technically not considered a high-brow show by any means, but it is very nostalgic and dear to my heart regardless. And, I for one, believe it is a great vehicle for analyzing the various ways in which we as society have progressed, anywhere from style, to music, mannerisms, filming, technology… Have you watched "The Hills"? Are you still watching it? Please tell me so we can fangirl together! The 14th of February made me reflect on my love life. In the past, this day was a miserable and lonely one, but now I welcome it gleefully. It is a day to celebrate the mystery of love after all and what is better than that? It is also my male best friend's birthday and I just love him to bits! We always have a ball together, and this year was no exception. Another notable/dreaded event was the Mercury retrograde which lasted from the 30th of January all the way until the 21st of February and needless to say it completely messed with my mind. Communication is the focal point of my entire life as I am a journalist and a writer and coincidentally a Gemini with a Gemini Mercury (Gemini's ruler is Mercury- the planet of communication), so you can understand my woes. I had trouble organizing my thoughts, my plans were all jumbled up, I failed to deliver an offer because of a misunderstanding, I kept procrastinating the articles I had to write, my mind was foggy and my mouth was sealed shut. I was in shambles! But as soon as the 21st hit, I began feeling more aligned. My little krapfen (as I enjoy calling her) Ema, turned one on the 25th! Lord, she grew up too fast! She learned how to walk, pronounce simple words and mimic certain sounds and gestures in no time. She is as smart as a whip, for sure! I truly have not seen a baby retain information that quickly before. It's just amazing! She is also incredibly strong-willed. When she wants something, she fights until she gets it. She views your "no" as an obstacle to overcome, as opposed to a non-negotiable agreement. I've learnt so much about self-confidence from watching her.

On the 1st of March I moved out of my sister's place back into my own. There were plans of going to Belgrade with my bestie a few days after I moved, but I unfortunately had one of the worst allergy flareups that I've had in a long time, so I had to cancel. The healing process was long (I am still not completely out of the woods), itchy and overall unpleasant. I couldn't do much during that time because I was beyond exhausted, so I rested at home for a few days. I enjoyed having the place all to myself again. Being around my sister and others was fine, but I desperately needed some alone time. The many different energies I absorbed over time were beginning to weigh me down. I needed a good cry and thought I would be able to release myself once I've moved, but I couldn't. I had been suppressing my emotions for months as my catharsis longed for solitude, therefore every time I would try to shed a tear a brick wall would drop into the pit of my throat. This was quite strange because I am the biggest crybaby. Making me cry is a piece of cake. I used to cry all day, every day as a child and later as an adolescent. It is April now and I have barely let out a couple droplets. I cried a little watching other people's sufferings, but my own life doesn't make me cry anymore. I feel like whatever is happening to me isn't severe or anything I haven’t lived through before or anything that cannot be fixed, which isn't to say that I do not deserve to complain or that my fears and worries are insignificant. I've recently heard some girl say she had the same issue with her orgasms. She explained that as soon as she would reach climax, the shame surrounding female masturbation that was ingrained into her psyche would prevent her from finishing. However, she said that she was working on it, and that is what I intend to do as well. Since both are a form of a release, I believe that they require similar healing processes. Thankfully, I had many other self-soothing practices; one of them being gardening. I have been tending to my indoor garden of an assortment of different wild plants, succulents and some tomato sprouts. What I also loved was going up to the window in the attic to look up at the night sky whilst reading or listening to an audiobook. I found myself getting back into reading more during March and April, which was exciting. I didn't have much patience for it before. I read six books in total within the past two months, which were: "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier, "Journalism in Tennessee and other stories" by Mark Twain, "A Wordsworth Anthology" by William Wordsworth, "Big Magic" by Elizabeth Gilbert, "Teaching My Mother How To Give Birth" by Warsan Shire and began reading "The Bone Clocks" by David Mitchell. This was a lot for me, but it isn't nearly as much as I should be reading. I want to find books that ignite my interest and try to read more because I find it to be crucial for personal and literary development. Alright! I am going to leave it at that. I shall see you again probably at the end of May or at the beginning of June for April and May updates. See you soon!

Comments

Popular Posts